France contributes to the Rosetta mission at three levels:
- Through its participation to the ESA Mandatory Programme: thus, the French industry is involved in the design of the main satellite (particularly ASTRIUM).
- Through instrumental participations to the payloads, for the Orbiter as well as for the Lander.
- Through a participation to the engineering, development, tests and lander operations.
In parallel to the national industry developing one part of the main satellite under ESA contract, the other French activities are managed by the CNES centre in Toulouse.
The project team that works there relies:
- for instrumental participations, on the following laboratories:
- For technical participations, on the CNES technical services and the industry (SOREP, SAFT, STEEL, CS, REALIX, GFI, ATOS, CAP GEMINI, THALES, etc.).